This is a great way to see the Vista House and Multnomah Falls while driving from Portland to Hood River.
Below are the directions:
- The byway begins on Jordan Road, northeast of Troutdale, OR.
- Travel south on Jordan Road and continue on Crown Point Hwy.
- Continue on to Historic Columbia River Highway.
- Follow the keystone-shaped signs through Springdale, Corbett, and the waterfall area to the junction with Interstate 84 (near Bonneville Dam), where the byway ends.
- Proceed east on I-84 to Mosier.
The Vista House is a scenic lookout. The Vista House is located on one of the most beautiful points of the Historic Columbia River Highway. It is a great place to stop for a picture!
IMPORTANT: Starting July 20th, you need reservations to go to the falls. You can make your reservation here. It looks like they are booking about a week out and cost $1.
You can access this from both I-84 and the Historic Columbia River Highway Byway. You can hike to the very top of the waterfall. There is a lodge where you can eat.
There are many great hiking trails in the Columbia River Gorge. They have a range of difficulty levels so everyone can find a hike that suits them!
The Columbia River Gorge has some great wines! Here are some vineyards on the Oregon side of the Gorge
Marchesi Vineyards specializes in Italian varieties.
Phelps Creek Vineyards overlooks the Hood River Golf Course. You can enjoy a picnic lunch and jaw-dropping views of Mount Hood.
Wy’East Vineyards is one of Oregon’s highest-altitude vineyards. The tasting room features picnic areas and two bocce courts.